Winter Series Cancelled

After a lot of consideration we have decided to cancel next Sunday’s (October 17th) Winter Series event at Tahunanui beach.

Despite having a potentially reasonable number of paddlers it would have been predominantly Nelson based crews, and the event wouldn’t really have reflected the whole Top of the South waka ama whanau. There’s still a lot of uncertainty over where the whole Covid thing is heading and although we could have held it safely at Level 2, there’s no guarantee that’s where we will be next weekend.

The final straw was the long range forecast which is for rain and Northerlies.

The race over in Picton was one of the best Winter Series events I can remember so it’s a great shame we haven’t been able to continue that success story but we will no doubt bounce back next year. Thanks for all your patience and understanding while we were making this decision. If the weather turns a bit nicer than the forecast we might head over to Rabbit Island in waka for a BBQ next Sunday morning. We will keep an eye on the weather and make a decision by Thursday evening.

We will leave the Teamer booking going at the moment. If you are keen on the Rabbit Island idea leave your name on there or add it, if you were signed up for Winter Series but don’t fancy it just change to Decline.

Its never too early or too late to start paddling waka ama

We always welcome new members to the Maitahi Outrigger Canoe Club.
We have social and racing waka ama crews catering for a wide variety of ages and abilities.