We are now getting in paddling in the dark in the evenings and in the early mornings. The harbour master has been out and checking to make sure all craft have visible lights that meet the requirements.
Lights on waka 30 mins before dusk
The rule is that we must have lights visible 30 minutes before dusk and we need:
- a white light at least 1 m off the water (Our lights that go on the kiato)
- The paddler at No 1 must wear a head torch
- There must be at least another spare head torch in the waka in case the batteries fail in the lights.
Wear warm gear – layer up
It is also starting to get a lot colder so be aware that temperatures can change quickly durning Autumn and Winter. Make sure you are suitably dressed and comfortable.
- Thermal tops are a must.
- MacPack have really good fleecy tights that are warm and that wear well.
- Or you might like to get sharkskin from Kiwi MultiSports
- Burnscoe have great paddling jackets or you might like to try a lighter running shell from somewhere like Torpedo 7 if you think you’ll be too hot.
Its never too early or too late to start paddling waka ama
We always welcome new members to the Maitahi Outrigger Canoe Club.
We have social and racing waka ama crews catering for a wide variety of ages and abilities.